First Overseas Trip - Hongkong

For those who are planning to visit Hongkong for pleasure or holidays, I am sure that you are busy researching about "first time in hongkong" such as what to do, what to buy for pasalubongs, where to stay, cheap airlines, so on and so forth. I can't say that I got Hongkong covered because I stayed there for only four days and three nights. Please check below for my itinerary. In case you are wondering why I didn't book direct flight to Hongkong from Cebu, it's because all expenses are paid by the company and our main office is in Manila. There are staffs in Manila office also who were given the chance to travel for free, hmm not really for free because I still pay for my lunch and dinner. And of course, pasalubongs/souvenirs are not shouldered by the company.


  • November 29, 2016
    • fly to Manila since my ticket is MNL-HK-MNL scheduled on November 30
  • November 30, 2016
    • Get up as early as 3AM to avoid traffic going to NAIA. Once ready, my companions an I hired a taxi to take us to Terminal 1 (designated terminal can be found in your ticket)
    • Our airline is Cathay Pacific, once the counter for check-in opens, we queued there. While waiting for our turn, we filled up the departure card(given by the guard near Cathay check-in counter). During check-in, please ready your ticket and passport.
    • After checking in, we went straight to Immigration for the interviews and the like. And jus mio, it was so crowded! We waited for our turn for almost an hour. Once it's your turn, present your travel voucher, ticket, passport and id to the immigration officer. Since our trip was paid by the company, company id is a must. 
      • Note: It's really better to use a travel agent when you're going for a holiday overseas. Hassle free  and just a few questions from the officer. I was only asked where Panda Hotel was located (it's where we stay in Hongkong).
    • There's no trouble with the officers except for one of our officemates, she forgot her ID and insisted it was not necessary. It's really unavoidable to have someone in a group whose brain is as small as a monggo beans. She was almost left behind. So, she begged and begged for the officer for almost 30 minutes. You know, it's really embarrassing to be in her position because she caused too much delay for the other waiting passengers. You could hear their murmurs behind. 
    • Our flight was 8.30AM and we're cleared at the Immigration around 7:30. We used the free time to have our quick breakfast at Tapaking. My goodness, my meal was priced at 299 and it was not so good. Just okay....
    • At 8AM,  we headed to our assigned gate and waited for boarding.
    • Exactly 8:30, we fly to Hongkong. Cathay really impressed me with that.
    • While onboard the aircraft, you can play any movies or listen to music. Headsets are available in your seats together with some shopping catalogue. Snacks will be served also. So, you'll never know you're already in Hongkong in less than 2 hours. Just amazing.

ARRIVAL IN HONGKONG
  • upon arrival, proceed to immigration, fill up a small form and present it to the officer together with your passport. Important note: Please retain the paper given by the officer in your passport for safekeeping. It's needed when you exit to Macau or Hongkong.
  • the travel agent was already waiting for our arrival, he explained our itinerary and that we must follow the scheduled time. And by the way, our travel agent would also exchange philippine peso to HK Dollar. The rate was 700hkd for every 5000php. Not that bad compared to hotel and airport rates. But in Cebu, I was able to change my 4950php to 750USD.  If only I knew, I should have exchange all my money in Cebu ( Ayala Cebu-Services section).
  • When we are in the coach going to our hotel, one of our officemate tried to munch some chichirya and drink water. She was told "In Hongkong, drinking and eating inside the bus are not allowed." Well, that same policy was posted inside the bus but we just didn't notice it or failed to read it. Of course I knew it already not to eat inside the coach or any public transpo, I've found it in my research.
  • When we arrived the hotel and checked -in, they asked for a 900hkd room deposit. We bargained for at least 500hkd per room. Good thing they agreed. 
  • Our first day in Hongkong is freeday. After checking in the with the hotel, we arranged our things in the room, changed clothes and went out to have lunch. I opted to eat at Mcdo near the hotel while the others chose to have noodles which are much more expensive. Hopefully, it's delicious for first timers.
  • After we had our lunch, we looked for the train station (tsuen wan station), near the hotel also, just opposite mcdonals in tsuenwan market street. We bought single journey ticket going to Mongkok, it cost us 9HKD. We were impressed by the efficient MTR system. By the way, it's advisable to download MTR app before you travel to Hongkong to familiar the train route you can take if you have free time. Taxi's are also available but the rate is expensive. Like me, I was already familiar with the street names , train station to go and the likes because I downloaded the app two months before my scheduled travel.
  • When we arrive in Mongkok station, we headed straight to the Ladies Market and did some shopping for giveaways and pasalubongs. Until now, I regretted why I didn't buy everything I liked there. It's much cheaper.
    • Things I purchased from the Ladies Market are: headset, keychains, ref magnets, umbrella, pink luggage, passport holders, and many many more. Everything you need can be found at a bargain price can be found in the Ladies Market. But then our shopping time was cut short due to some people in the group who wished to go back to the hotel and rest. Just so disappointing. Good thing, there's a department store in Panda Hotel. I just continued to browse some items there. Across Panda hotel is another department store. One stall there sells cheap dresses for kids. 
  • We had dinner at KFC located inside Panda also. It's in the basement area. There are so many restaurants in Panda, you'll never go hungry. Just prepare your money as meals would cost from 30hkd to 200hkd. It depends on your order
  • After dinner, we did some window shopping again. In Hongkong, all you have to do is dine and shop, sort of shop till you drop.
---------------------------------END OF DAY 1-------------------------------------------------------------
December 1, 2016

6AM - wake up time, and get ready for the half day city tour

7AM - went to Panda Cafe for the free buffet breakfast

8:30 - tourguide arrived for our city tour. Infairness, it's just a waste of time but I heard it's compulsory. We only have 20minutes in Tsim Tsa Tsui Promenade, did some picture taking with Victoria Harbour as the background. Note: please don't let the official photographer kuno to take your photo. He would develop those pics taken by him, attach it on a plate, and sell it for HKD180. So Expensive. 

10am- We went to Abeerden particularly in TSL Jewelries. Most of the salesperson there are from the Philippines. They would do their best salestalk for you to buy their jewelries. I was able to purchase a lucky charm pendant for my daughter. It's gold with monkey design because she was born on the year of the monkey. It cost me 360HKD but I didn't regret it. My daughter loves it. Note: It's optional to buy.

After TSL Jewelry, we exited to an outlet shop that sells HK delicacies and Disney items. I spent HKD500 in the outlet. Items bought were delivered to the hotel.

11AM - We proceed to Abeerden Fishing Village, ride the boat for HKD60 (it's optional). It would be nice if we stopped at Jumbo floating restaurant and eat something there. After riding the boat, we were back in the coach once again, we passed the midlevel going to Victoria Peak. We were disppointed because we didn't go to the Peak. 

Actually, there were so many sightseeing destinations that we were not able to visit like Madame Tussauds Wax Museum, Ngong Ping 360 (2km cable car ride), The Peak and many many more. She dropped us at the Ferry Terminal going to Hongkong and purchased the round trip ticket at Cotai Jet. After she handed us the tickets, she said bye bye and we were left on our own.

1PM- we had our lunch, after eating, we browse the shops while waiting for boarding time.

3:30 - we were bound to Macau, same procedure in HK airport, you need to pass Immigration.

6PM - We were in the ruins of St. Paul like what, only 10 minutes. Tourguide was no good. After St paul, he brought us to the Venetian, instructed us where to take the coach going to the ferry terminal bound for Hongkong and he left. Aksaya sa Pera.

6:30PM - picture taking at The Venetian

7PM-  dinner at The Venetian

8PM - we're on our way to the ferry terminal. Just a very short time and we were not able to fully enjoy Macau. It's just a waste of money. 

For those who are planning to visit Macau, please  allocate one whole day to really enjoy what Macau has to offer. By the way no need to change macau patata because HKD's are acceptable there.

10PM - while at the ferry, there was a sudden storm. My my, the waves are really big. If the boat is in the Philippines, for sure, it would sank.

While in Hongkong and Macau, you can be assure of your safety with their rides whatever it is.

12midnight - back in the hotel, rest rest rest. The next day is Disneyland Tour.

------------------------END OF DAY 2------------------------------------------------------
December 2, 2016

6AM - wake up time
7AM- went to Panda and had breakfast (same food as yesterday) and mostly the foods are not to your likings. I opt to have bread only,  bread section is much larger than the main course dishes.

8:45AM - pick up for Disneyland Tour. At first, we didn't like it why we have to stay whole day at the Disneyland. When we arrive there and pick up the map (disneyland app can be downloaded also for easy guide), we were not so sure if a day can accommodate all the activities/rides in Disneyland.

Remember that we are nine in all? Well, three of us (all  bisaya) separated from them as they have different styles. They're unto pictorials only.

  • we got to ride the train inside Disneyland and took off at the Fantasy Land.
  • our first activity was the 3d show at Philharmagic
  • Next , we tried everything at AdventureLand, Toy Story, Mystic Manor, Grizzly Gulch
  • Afterwards, we went to Tomorrowland and had lunch at Star Dinner. Simple lunch would cost you HKd100. It's just rice and chicken. If you want the steak, it's HKD135
  • We didn't get to ride in Tomorrowland. Next visit, there's an Ironman already. In Tomorrowland, there's only starwars.
  • After eating lunch, we sat in a bench in FantasyLand and relax while munching on a caramel popcorn. It's 38-78HKd  and a bottled water is HKD28. We have no choice.The smell of popcorn is so inviting, and after the popcorn, we need to drink water, right? 
  • We ride the boat on tour while little children sings "It's a small world..." Inside, you'll be amazed. It's a must try especially for children.
  • We wanted to get in in Disney's Storybook Theater but the line is too long.
  • jungle river cruise is also fun as well as the raft to tarzan
  • we got to watch the musical of Lion King at the Theater in the Wild
We were done around 6PM, look for a bench to sit down and waited for the fireworks display at 8PM. But while sitting down, we were surprised for the street parade of some famous disney characters. They really passed in our front. Imagine that.

And as always, the disney star Mickey Mouse was just hilarious hahahaah.

After the fireworks display, we headed back to the coach going to our hotel.

-----------------------------END OF DAY 3-------------------------

November 3, 2016 - Ocean Park

6AM- wake up time
7AM - breakfast ...a boring one since the food there were just the same as the other day. I chose bread again.
8:45 - pick up going to OceanPark 

Once we get inside the OceanPark, our first destination was the Thrill Mountain that is accessible through Ocean Express (train) or Cable Car. We chose the Cable Car. I was no longer afraid of the heights hehehhe due to my Disneyland adventure. The cable car ride going to the Thrill Mountain was really fun.

When we arrived at the Trill Mountain, we sampled their easy rides first. We also board on the tower that overlook the whole Oceanpark and the neighbouring areas. If Disneyland is big, OceanPark is much much bigger. And the rides are so many and thrilling and would take a lot of guts to ride everything. 

And because I was really scared during my rides at Disneyland, I didn't try those nakakakamatay rides in OceanPark. I just enjoyed myself in taking pictures of my companions.

We had lunch in Mcdo..afterwards, we head back to the lower level of the oceanpark via cable car. 

At the lower level, we've got to see the giant panda who was busy munching on some leaves, take note that it's very cold inside the Panda's home.

And of course, the giant oceanarium. Those fishes out there, they will be good for Sinigang and Tinola .. just kidding. I would have enjoyed the Oceanarium more if we went to Neptune Restaurant and eat. Neptune is located inside the oceanarium so basically, your background is waters with fishes, lots of it. It would have been nice. But my companion do not want to sample their food offerings because of the prices.

So we just browsed the shops, bought some souvenir items from Oceanpark while waiting for our pick-up.

At 4PM, our pick-up arrived and we went back to the hotel to get our luggage. Pick up time to their airport is 6PM, so while waiting, we browse the stores nearby, was able to purchased some clothes for my daughter. I wanted to buy those big dolls and toycars but it would be a problem. Excess baggage, you know.

7PM - we were in the airport already, checked in, and cleared by the immigration. I still have some Hongkong Dollars left in my wallet. All I have to do is shop. Near the immigration is Disney store. I bought two tshirts: one for me and my husband.

The others went to eat at Mcdonalds while the three of us went to search for our designated terminals. And oh my goodness, we walked on how many escalators going up and down and I thought we found the gate already. 

We did not. We needed to get on a train to reach our gate. Upon take-off from the train, there were so many shops there. I spent my remaining 400HKd on chocolates.

Then another 2 walkators going to our gate. Finally, we found it.. Our flight was supposed to be 9:15 but was moved to 9:30. Not so bad. 

When I got hungry near the gate, I just ate some of the snickers. Anyway, a refreshment will served in the aircraft.

11:30 - we were in NAIA already, waiting for our luggage.

Good for my officemates who were residing in Manila.

Me? Hmm I still have to wait for my flight going to Cebu. PAL's first flight is at 4AM...Imagine how sleepy I was...I was also hungry but too sleepy to eat anything. 

5:30 AM  - touch down to Cebu, I immediately hired a taxi to take ma home so that I can sleep. My house was just so close at the airport.

When I got home, how could I sleep when my only daughter already woke up? I  was touched when I opened the door and she saw me, she smiled and crawled towards me. And for hours, I was just carrying her because she won't let go of me. Can't sleep but worth it especially when she kissed me ...

------------------------------END OF STORY---------------

Comments