HOW TO SAVE MONEY ON BABY IN CEBU, PHILIPPINES

As a new mom, I've been looking for ways how to save money on babies. I'm living in Cebu and most of the advise I found online are from Mommies living outside the Philippines. And mostly the contents are just the same. For the expectant moms out there, I could only share some tips based on my personal experience. By the way, since my daughter was born, I've been using milk formula. I'm into Enfamil, a milk formula from MeadJohnson because it has good reviews from experienced mothers and from friends as well.

  1. Milk - Based on Enfamil prices alone, the cheapest store is Robinsons. First I bought my supplies from 360 Pharmacy because they are cheaper compared with Rose and Mercury. I tried SM, Savemore, Metro and Gaisano. No one can beat Robinsons when it comes to Milk, Cerelac, & Gerber.
  2. Diapers - I always buy the largest pack available for Pampers. Upon comparing prices from stores near my residence, I opted to shop at Lazada. So convenient and much more cheaper than going to the dept stores to purchase diapers. When Lazada has no stocks, I bought diapers at Robinsons even if it's expensive. And then, there was a time when I have to go to Gaisano Island Mall to buy some baby toys. I decided to check their prices for Pampers and I was shocked. The price difference for the largest pack is a whooping Php100.00. Imagine that? At first I was doubtful that maybe those were fakes. Silly me. I called my sister to check if she has tried to buy Pampers from Gaisano and Yes, she did. I was relieved and then I hate myself why I didn't check with Gaisano before. 
  3. Gerber First foods would cost you around Php50 per 80ml bottle. I was lucky enough when Robinsons has these 3 bottles in one bundle which I was able to save Php50 per set. It's like a buy two take one promo. But my daughter's favorite is just the Applesauce. I checked with Mr. Google and it's very easy to make my own applesauce. 
  4. Cerelac as first food is also convenient for working moms. But it is much cheaper to make your own lugaw for your baby. And also, not all babies love Cerelac. As of now, my daughter would eat their Wheat & Milk flavor only.
  5. For babies immunization, you can go to your nearest Barangay Health Centers and it's absolutely for free but prepare yourself for the tiring endeavor and the heat while waiting for your turn. As for me, it's not an option because in Health Centers, the schedules are always on weekdays. I choose Well Family Medical Clinic in Pajac Lapulapu for my daughter's immunization. It's much more cheaper compared with Mactan Doctors because they only charge Php800 per visit. And the schedule is very convenient for me. I can go there on Saturdays and Sundays as long as you do it in the morning. It's not advisable to have your babies immunized in the afternoons. As per the Doctor, As mothers, we must pay close attention to our babies after immunization for possible side effects and we can't do it 100% when we're asleep at night. So, always have your babies immunization done in the morning.
  6. My daughter is covered with Life & Health Insurance. I didn't hesitate to shell out a few thousands for her coverage for my peace of mind. But as the old saying goes, Prevention is better than Cure. She's using Absolute Water for her milk/drinks. From birth up to six months, I used mineral water for her bath. Alcohol is a must before holding the baby when she was still a newborn. Diapers were changed every four hours or when wet whichever comes first. Please don't forget to sterilize everything that would have contacts with her mouth from feeding bottles to toys, etc. Also, change her clothes as often as you can. For nannies, taking a bath early in the morning is a must. PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE. Remember that.
  7. If you could get help from relatives in babysitting, then you're in for a big savings. Nanny's salary would depend on how much you can afford but it's not lesser than Php3,000 when you're in Cebu. Afterall, she's taking care of your most precious possession.
  8. Babies love to sleep in the dark. So at night, you can save from electricity if you'll turn off the lights. But if you are not comfortable with the dark like me, a night light would do or a lampshade that you could turn on easily when the baby's awake and needs something.
  9. We love to show off our babies to people but be reminded that newborn babies are safe in your home than in outside areas like parks and malls. Crowded areas have different kinds of people and you know the viruses and bacteria that they are carrying. Better safe than sorry.
  10. I learned the hard way that we shouldn't buy more when she's still a baby and still growing fast.
  11. Saving Money on your baby doesn't mean to buy the cheapest product available in town. Not all cheaps are practical, remember that. In buying quality products, you still could save in the long run. For my daughter, I opened a trust fund account at Metrobank. It's where I deposited the money saved from buying in bulks, promos and other discounts plus the gifts from Ninongs and Ninangs too.
So, how much do you need to raise a baby in Cebu? The amount is not a joke. 
  • Enfamil 0-6 months - Php2361 for 1.8kgs (2-3 boxes of 1.8 to be consumed in a month) Php7k
  • Pampers Medium - Php509/70 pcs  Php2k ( 4 packs in a month) prices will change as size changes
  • Immunization - Php800 ( Usually you'll need 3k-6k in Mactan Doctors)
  • Clothes - Php500-2k per month(depends on your budget)
  • Nanny - 3k to 6k

Don't be discouraged. We find ways just like BDO.

Comments